To the Word

Reflections on the call to live by the Word of God

My Photo
Name:
Location: Mud Creek, Tennessee, United States

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Growth and Transitions Again

There's nothing like having a grown child to remind you of the need to grow up yourself.

That may be a bit of an overstatement for rhetorical effect, but not much. Ever since Milton Jr. was a toddler I've felt the need to refine my own character, both in order to "stay ahead," so to speak, of my offspring, and to be the man whom I want to be the nuturer, protector, and role model for my sons.

This past weekend Carolyn and I dropped Milton Jr. off at college. When he was a small child, I worked hard---successfully, I think---at curbing my explosive and destructive anger. Today, I'm striving to let go my desire to control so that I will allow Milton Jr. be the man God created him to be.

It's daunting to think that my son is going out into the world without me, even as I remember how much I wanted to be on my own at age 18. But he's so much more ready than I was. And God is so much more ready than either of us to prosper him. I pray that he will, and that my son will lean upon the unfathomable love of the Lord--our Rock and our Redeemer.


Copyright 2004, Milton Stanley

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home